First Trimester of Pregnancy: Do’s and Don’ts
Pregnancy is a beautiful moment for the anticipating parents.
The first trimester is the earliest phase of pregnancy. It starts on the first day of your last period — before you’re even actually pregnant — and lasts until the end of the 12th week. It’s a time of great anticipation and rapid changes for both you and your baby.
If you are in your first trimester, it is recommended that you schedule your prenatal visit at one of the best gynaecology hospitals in BANGALORE and get the best suggestions to plan a healthy first trimester, and thus, a healthy pregnancy.
It is a very important phase of pregnancy and during this period, a woman’s body undergoes numerous changes. During this phase, there will be notable changes mainly due to the ongoing developments that include the development of organs in the baby’s body. You may experience symptoms like fatigue and nausea besides breast tenderness as they are quite common. They will subside when you enter the second trimester on their own.
Dos and Don’ts: First Trimester
To keep yourself healthy, you need to take certain precautions. These are listed below:
- Nutritional Supplements: Your body requires adequate supplements. Hence it is advised to take necessary supplements like calcium, folic acid, vitamin D, magnesium, probiotics, fish oil etc. as they fulfil the necessary nutrition requirements for both the mother and the baby.
- Rest:You may experience tiredness/weakness. Nothing to worry about since it is commonly experienced during the first trimester. Take adequate rest since your body will be going through changes.
- Food:Food plays an important role since your body requires a fine balance of all the nutrients like vitamins, proteins, amino acids etc. The food you eat must be healthy. Include fresh leafy vegetables, sweet potatoes, fish and seafood, dairy items like yoghurt, chickpeas, lentils, eggs etc. It is better to avoid processed food items. Consume an adequate amount of water to keep hydrated.
- Exercise: Though you are advised to take rest during your first trimester, light exercising is also important. Take suggestions from your Doctor and keep yourself physically active.
- Stress:Stress is unhealthy. Ensure to keep away from things that may induce stress. If possible, take a break from work for some time.
- Weight:Ideal weight is necessary during the first trimester. Consult one of the top gynaecologists in Bangalore to know more about the ideal weight you need to maintain.
- Travel:During this period too, much travel is not advisable. Short distance commuting or local travel is okay for up to 36 weeks during the pregnancy. Do not indulge in exhaustive travelling. Also, it’s always good to consult your doctor if planning a long trip.
- Alcohol:Alcohol consumption is not recommended as it’s highly unsafe for the baby and may negatively affect the baby’s brain. Avoid alcohol, especially during the first trimester.
- Smoking: It is advised to not smoke during the first trimester of your pregnancy. Cigarettes contain harmful toxins that are extremely dangerous for your baby. It gets carried through your bloodstream and reach your baby’s body. Eventually, it can even cause birth defects besides respiratory illnesses.
- Foods to avoid:Avoid Processed Foods. Limit intake of oily foods and unpasteurised dairy items.